EdcampOmaha- Unconference

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreydahl/5562188098/sizes/m/in/photostream/

I went to my first Edcamp in Omaha this past weekend and I had a great time but an overload on awesome ideas to use in the classroom.  I really liked how this “unconference” was set up.  I had a date, time and place but the rest of the day was up to us the attendees.  As I arrived there was a large empty sheet of paper with 4 rows of  squares and times.  As the conference started we were told to go write in one of the time slots an idea for a presentation.  As others discussed what to do I just sat and watched the presentations go up.  Now was the hard part!  I had to choose out of 4 ideas which presentation I was going to attend and I had to do this 3 more times.  I tried to go to ones that my friends were not attending so we could compare notes at the end of the day!  What a day it was.  I had a great session on Google Applications which gave me great ideas as to what to work on this summer for next years class.  I of course went to one called Web 2.0 and I actually got up and presented  on Stykz.  I didn’t think I was going to but the excitement and enthusiam of all the attendees got into your blood and you wanted to “show off” also.  Lunch was on our own so we left with 4 new friends and had a great lunch getting to know each other besides our Twitter profile.  Then it was back to the last two sessions one which was on authentic learning and had a great discussion then the last one was on classroom habitudes and how to teach 21st Century learning habits and attitudes.  The day ended with all of the attendees getting back together for wonferful door prizes ( I won NETA Registration for the 2 days).  As my friends & I headed home we were all exhausted but fired up for another couple of months of teaching.  Thanks to all who had a hand in this unique un-conference!